Saturday, November 12, 2016

My Number 1 Fan

 
            Recently I had a pleasant surprise while walking across campus, passing the Mckay building on my way home from school. I saw a tall figure with a familiar face in the distance. He noticed me, stopped for a moment, raised his hand to throw me a peace sign, and kept walking. It was the best part of my day.

            It was Jon Harper who I saw that day. This is the Jon Harper I'm talking about.



Not This.


          You can tell the difference because one of them ran for attorney general and the other always wears short shorts because he likes everyone to look at his legs.

            Jon and I became friends through a series of misfortunes that happened at The Grand Canyon, which you can read about  here.

            Every time I see Jon I get unreasonably excited. He feels the same about me. If you've ever heard him say, "Shut up Rachel," it's because he's kidding. He would never want me to shut up. Jon thinks I'm very funny.

            Jon and I have just a few minor differences that keep us from being closer friends. For example, he likes to go to sleep early, but I like to stay up late.  There have been many rude comments directed at me for suggesting that hanging out should continue late into the night. I have mostly forgiven him for saying these mean things, but there is still an underlying tension in our relationship, and it is likely for this reason that the majority of our interactions are accidental encounters on campus. Sometimes I invite him to have intentional encounters on campus where we meet up for lunch and this is how those conversations go.

"Lunch tomorrow at 11!"                            
"No. I'm busy."
"Well rearrange your priorities and come to lunch."
"No."

            As you can see, he works so hard at hiding how he is obsessed with me that sometimes it appears unfriendly. It's a good thing I understand his true feelings.


            Last night I saw Jon at the wedding of our good friends, Jared and Lauren. He said to me, "So when are we groovin'? Then he illustrated his point with a couple of sweet dance moves. The answer to that question, Jon, is that we're always groovin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment