Monday, July 7, 2014

I Started Running in the Winter


     I started running when it was just starting to get cold. I'd never felt the cold before.  I'd never owned a scarf or gloves. They weren't needed in Sunny Southern California.  But now Utah was my home, and I was about to experience my first Winter.
            
     I don't remember why I did it--the first time I went running. I thought I was fat or something like that. I put on a pair of tennis shoes and the only pair of non-denim long pants that I owned, and I ran. I did this everyday. My feet slapped the pavement over and over. I breathed in the air that kept dropping to temperatures I didn't know existed. I loved it.  I was alive, and each biting breath of icy air told me so.
            
    Soon there stopped being a reason I was pulling on my tennis shoes. I ran because I had to. It became an obsession. If the sidewalks were too icy to go I cried. I begged my parents to take me to the gym so I could run on the treadmills there.  When they said no, I would get angry. I would sit alone in my room and shake with the silence of my anger.
           
    I wrote about my anger. Entire sections of my journal are about my anger. I wrote how I hated the feeling. It wasn't like sadness. Sadness was okay.  It could even be beautiful. But anger I hated. It was the mixture of sadness, self-loathing, fear, and confusion.
            
    The only thing that could drive away this feeling was to run again. To feel the invigorating shock of cold air in my lungs. To taste the wind and the sweat and the ache in my muscles.
           
    One day as I ran I smelled a familiar smell. The smoke from a backyard barbecue had escaped and reached my nose. I realized I was too warm for comfort, and I pulled off my sweatshirt. The sun touched my bare arms and I shivered in delight. My feet splashed through puddles from the melting snow. This was Spring. I'd never experienced it before. Spring can't exist without the melting snow and the surprise of forgotten sunlight.

           
     It was beautiful and delicious and I ran and I laughed and I ran and I laughed.

No comments:

Post a Comment